1800 calories per day is a generalized recommendation for men trying to lose weight. This exact amount has been trialed and has shown to lead to weight loss. Low-carb and mediterranean-type diets were more successful than low fat.
Calculate your optimal calories for weight loss using the Daily Calorie Needs Calculator.
1800 Calorie Meal Plan
TOTAL CALORIES ~1802
- 1½ Cups Shredded Wheat Cereal (255)
- 1½ Cup (1%) Milk (158)
- 1 Medium Banana (105)
- 6½ Whole Wheat Pita
- ½ cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 4 oz. (~110g) Tuna (Canned, Water-packed).
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 a tomato, 1/2 a cucumbers
- 14 Raw Almonds
- 1 Medium Apple (93)
- 8 oz. (~220g) Chicken Breast (skinless boneless) – cook in griller.
- 1 Cup Broccoli
- 1 ½ Cup (cooked) Brown Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Honey mustard for seasoning (65)
- This is a balanced meal of about 50% carbs, 30% proteins, and 20% fats.
- Ensure you drink plenty of water – aim for 8-10 glasses per day.
- Only other drinks allowed are herbal teas, green tea, and the occasional black coffee.
- Shai, I., Schwarzfuchs, D., Henkin, Y., Shahar, D. R., Witkow, S., Greenberg, I., … Stampfer, M. J. (2008). Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or low-fat diet. New England Journal of Medicine, 359(3), 229-241. Link
- Graffagnino, C. L., Falko, J. M., Londe, M., Schaumburg, J., Hyek, M. F., Shaffer, L. E., … Caulin-Glaser, T. (2006). Effect of a Community-Based Weight Management Program on Weight Loss and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors. Obesity, 14(2), 280-288. Link